The Ladies Aid Society of Flat Rock was founded in 1880 by thirteen ladies who summered in Flat Rock, North Carolina, to escape the heat of the Carolina Lowcountry. The society was created to provide needed help to less fortunate families in Flat Rock during the harsh winter months. Over 138 years later, we are still helping those in need.
Beginning as personal outreach, the society’s early records show clothing, food, and firewood being donated by the group as they heard about those without. The society also covered medical bills and purchases at local grocery stores for the elderly, frail, and families hit by disaster. For many years, we also staffed a medical loan supply closet at St John in the Wilderness, which made available free of charge needed medical items like crutches, canes, wheelchairs, and mattresses. Operating under the ministry banner of St John, the members held teas, bazaars, bridge parties, and other events to fund their charitable giving. Since 2005, the society has been a separate 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
From 1980 to 2016, the Ladies Aid Society operated The Book Exchange on the bottom floor of the Old Post Office on Greenville Highway. Through sales of used books, the society contributed significant amounts to charities throughout Henderson County over the years. With the closing of the Book Exchange, our fundraising efforts have expanded into new areas. Our focus has always been to support the smaller, local charities that make an outsized difference in our community.
Executive Board 2018 – 2020
- Mae Boys, president
- Anita Reid, vice president
- Myrna Dunn, recording secretary
- Susan Frame, corresponding secretary
- Betsy Tibbs, treasurer
- Dianne Gallenberger, fundraising development chair